Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October 13, 2008 -- Meet the Comp.

I realized the other day that I haven't said much about my companion (or about any of my past companions). My current companion is Elder Gonzalez. He is from San Luis Potosi. He is 25 years old and has been a missionary for 18 months. Before his mission, he completed 6 years of schooling, studying stomatology [the study of the mouth and its diseases] and is a fully certified doctor. He was also the president of the student body at his university. Pretty impresive. He really is very smart and is a great missionary. He has taught me many things, including patience. We don't always agree on everything, but we have learned how to compromise. We get along and work well together.

This may sound strange, but I have been thinking a lot about parenting lately. I see many different styles of parenting here, and the affects of those styles. I see some things that I want to do, and some that I never want to do. I also see the affects of my own parents. Mom and Dad, thank you for being such good parents to me.

This week I have rediscovered the truth in the Book of Mormon statement that by small things great things are brought to pass. There are three things in particular that seem very small, but are extremely important in the daily life and eternal welfare of every single person. They are weekly sacrament meeting attendance, daily scripture study, and constant sincere prayer. They really do make all the difference in the world. If only every investigator were willing to read the Book of Mormon, pray, and come to church!

In the same way, there are things that some people would see as small things, but actually ruin the family. I have seen many broken homes, homes without fathers, or homes that, to be honest, would be better off without the fathers that they currently have. The two biggest causes by far of these problems are violations of two simple commandments: the law of chastity and the word of wisdom. Keep the commandments! In this there is saftey and peace, for ourselves and for our homes!

This week's cultural note is brought to you by public transportation. There are three types. The first (which I guess techinically is not public transportation) is taxis. Everywhere you look there are green taxis, usually Nissans. Preach my Gospel specifically mentions talking to Taxi drivers in Monterrey, and I did that for the first time this past week. Second are the Camiones or buses. They are usually jam-packed with people, sitting and standing. The drivers think that they driving the little green taxis rather than huge busses, and dodge in and out of traffic, and try to stop on a dime (or a peso). Riding them is quite fun. Third is the metro, which consists of two parts, one are the buses that connect the stations, which are more or less camions. Second are the trains. Unlike the metro in NY, for example, the metro here is above the city rather than below it. All public transport is a great way to talk to people, as there are many and usually nobody is busy, or even talking.

No comments: