Monday, May 10, 2010

Thursday, May 6, 2010 -- The True Heroes

This week has been just as busy as the last. Because of their visa problems, the new American missionaries are arriving one by one. (I have gone to the airport about six times in a week.) Also, we are busy planning the annual Missionary Talent Show for Mother's day, which starts tomorrow. (Tomorrow we will be in the border in Matamoros and Valle Hermoso, and Saturday in Reynosa and Rio Bravo).

I'm not sure if it is the same in the States (I really can't remember), but here in Mexico there seems to be a tradition among the members: when you know that a missionary will be finishing soon, you have to ask him lots of questions about what he is going to do and if he is trunky (or "muerto" or "frito," which are basically Mexican versions of trunky). I don't like it. I don't consider myself at all trunky, nor do I plan on slowing down nor becoming distracted. I just hope that you all don't do the same to those missionaries who serve in the ward.


Like I said, this has been a busy week. There is always lots to do. As an Assistant, sometimes I feel like a secretary, babysitter, chauffeur, technician, or a million other things. But when I do, I remember what President Mendoza has taught us, that the "service of God" referred to in Doctrine and Covenants 4 doesn't refer specifically to knocking on doors, but to all the work that we do as missionaries.


The last time we went to the airport there was a lot of people, and it was full of security guards. Right before the missionaries came out, several huge WWF wrestlers came out, and everybody screamed and the cameras took pictures. It was interesting. The true heroes came out unnoticed by the world.


Elsa is doing well. She is excited about her baptism, and about helping her husband follow in her footsteps. We have had to plan everything well, as we will be in the border all of tomorrow and Saturday and will be arriving directly to the our services Sunday morning. But everything is ready.

No comments: