Tuesday, August 5, 2008

August 5, 2008 -- Ghetto Greetings

Transfers last Wednesday was a suspensful event. As I said in my last letter, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen, but I was very wrong. You never know when and why President Laney will change his plans.

I thought I would be leaving my companions and going to a far corner of the mission. Elder Zobell had requested to President that I stay with him, but I didn't think that that was very likely to happen. The forth or fifth slip of paper out of the treasure box (which they use to announce transfers), however, said that Elder Zobell and Elder Jarvis would be the zone leaders for the Oquirrh Mountain Zone, serving in the Kearns 2nd area, and that Elder Rowley would be their companion.

My area is again on the Northern border of the mission, more to the west than my last area. A lot of people call Kearns the ghetto of the mission, but I don't think it is at all. I love it here. There are so many hispanics and therefore so much work to do. My Spanish is increasing dramatically, and I am improving in my missionary skills everyday. My companions are very hard workers and very good misisonaries, and we are busy all the time finding and teaching people, and we never run out of people to visit.

You have already heard about Elder Zobell, and I am very glad to still be his companion. Elder Jarvis is also a very good missionary. He has been out 21 months, but is not at all trunkie. He is actually from Greensboro, NC, and knows [our relatives there].

In my last area we lived in an apartment, so this is the first time I have experienced living with members. I live in the basement of the house of an older widow named Sister Gray. For the most part, I like it better than living in an apartment--there is a lot more space.

I still haven't heard anything about the Visa. Some say it could be two weeks, others say it will be until at least the end of this transfer. I prefer the latter. I didn't think I would say this, but I love it here so much that I am considering asking President Laney if I can stay here. I don't know, though. I am very excited about Mexico still, but I love it here. We'll see.

No comments: