Monday, December 22, 2008

Monday, December 22, 2008 -- The Worth of Souls

I hope you don't mind, but I am going to philosophize for a minute here… As missionaries, we often look for what we call "golden investigators." That is, investigators who are standing at the door, waiting for us to knock so that they can get baptized. In our search for gold, however, we often forget that there are other metals just as precious, just as beautiful. The truth is, not all investigators are golden, in fact, most aren't. But some are silver, others platinum. Some may be rubies or diamonds. And all are valuable. The worth of souls is great in the sight of God. Some may not be a precious metal right now. But coal becomes a diamond. But not overnight. In Preach My Gospel, there is a chapter all about Christ-like attributes. Patience is one of them, and I have been studying it this week. Patience is related to faith, faith that the Lord will keep his promises, being willing to wait for the time of the Lord. I have also learned that it is related to love. When we love the people with a Christ-like love, we understand the worth of their souls, and we are willing to go through a refiner's fire with them to help them reach their potential. This week my companion and I have found all sorts of jewels. We have been improving in our efforts to contact everyone, even on the buses. Through our efforts this week we have found a drug dealer, a single mother, a worshiper of the Santa Muerta, a twelve year old boy, and many others. My goal is to help them realize their potential, the potential they have because they are children of God.

I can't deny that I miss you all a lot, especially at Christmas time, the season of family togetherness, service, tradition, and, most importantly, remembrance of our Savior. I'm looking forward to the hour [I] will be able to talk [with family] this Thursday. But I want you to know that there is no place I would rather be right now than where I am, because I know that it is where the Lord wants me to be.

I sincerely wish you all a very Merry Christmas. . . . And remember the reason for the season . . . . The best Christmas gift was given on the very first Christmas, a gift from our loving Heavenly Father, the gift of His Son and through Him, the possibility of Eternal Life (John 3:16). He gave us that gift because he knows our worth. I hope we all give a gift to [our Heavenly Father and His Son] this Christmas.

No comments: