Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Monday, December 28, 2008 -- The Best Week

[Editors' note: This is the second of two posts published today.]

In my call letter it says that “greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await” in my missionary service. This week I saw the fulfillment of that promise.

One reason why this week was so great was that I was able to talk to all of you [at home]. That was wonderful. The sweetest sound in all the world is the sound of a loved one's voice saying, “I love you.”

Another reason why this week was wonderful happened yesterday. When I talked to you on Thursday, I said that we wouldn't be having any baptisms this Sunday. I was wrong. The family of Eddie and Olga arrived home early from their Christmas vacation. We happened to be in the ranchito on Friday, and there was Eddie. It was a miracle. He, his wife, and two of his children were baptized yesterday. I baptized Eddie and Olga. Roberto Carlos, brother of Eddie and a recent convert of three months, baptized their two children, Juan Jesús and Perla. He had just received the priesthood earlier that day. It was an incredibly spiritual experience. At the end of the services, Roberto Carlos and his wife, Miriam, shared their testimonies. After them, Eddie and Olga shared their feelings. They talked about how much the gospel had already changed their lives, about how happy they felt, and about how they knew the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I couldn´t stop smiling. Or crying. It is a beautiful thing to see a family of true converts. I have no doubt that in a year I will be going to the temple with this family to see them be sealed for time and all eternity. There are two more members of the immediate family who are not yet members. One is a married daughter who lives in Matamoros, Tamaulipas. My previous companion, Elder Tovanche, was transferred to the area where she lives, and is now teaching her. (Interesting how he was sent to that area, eh?). The other is a 22-year-old son whom we are also teaching, and who is planning to be baptized on January 11.

More good news: Johanna, the wife of Jorge, the taxi driver who didn't want to get married (and the one who first introduced the missionaries to the ranchito where the families of Roberto Carlos and Eddie live) is finally going be married this month. The heart of her husband has finally softened and he agreed to marry her. I am hoping that she will be married and baptized before transfers this month.

* * * I'm sorry I couldn't write more. I had problems with the computer today. I'll send you a picture of the baptism next week.

No comments: