Monday, January 19, 2009

Monday, January 19, 2009: La Ley de Castidad

Saturday night the call came once again. I can't believe how fast this transfer has gone by. My leaders had told me that it was very likely that I would be leaving, that I was needed in other areas, so I knew what to expect. In fact, I even started saying goodbye. Then the call came. "Elder Rowley and Elder Zamudio both stay. There are no changes in the area." I thought it was a joke, because the first thing they say is always a joke. But when Elder Whatcott didn't start to laugh or say just kidding, I realized it was true. And I was very happy. I will be here in Juárez at least until March, and I am very glad.

This week we had two wonderful baptisms. They both were of women who had to wait awhile to be baptized because they weren't living the law of chastity. Each took a different solution. The name of the first will sound familiar to you. Joana and Jorge got married! And Joana got baptized! After six months of going to church every Sunday, she is finally a member. It was incredible. Hers was a very special baptism. The second baptism, Brenda, is another member of the Montoya family. She had been living with a man since she was 16, but the man mistreated her. When the missionaries taught the law of chastity, she knew she either had to marry him or leave him. She made her own decision and chose the second. There wasn't very much water in the font, and Elder Zamudio had to baptize her on her knees (after saying the prayer on their feet.) But she made it under the water. She too has come along way. I love seeing the changes that the gospel works in people.
* * *
I'm sorry my letter isn't as long this week. I have lots to tell you, but my pictures are each worth a thousand words!

P.S. To answer your question, Lucy had not yet been baptized because she is not married to her husband. She is working on saving up the money, however, and very much wants to get baptized. Our goal is February 6 for her baptismal date.

No comments: