Monday, January 26, 2009

Monday, January 26, 2009 -- I Want to Be Baptized

[Thanks to] the members of the ward who sent me Christmas cards and letters. I wish I had time to respond to them all.
* * *
That is wonderful that the Tylers [of the Redlands stake] have been called to be mission president and wife. That is one of the most important and influential callings in the church. As Elder [Quentin L.] Cook [of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles] said, the influence of a good mission president is one of the miracles of the Restoration. I’m sure that [the Tylers] will be a blessing in the lives of hundreds of missionaries and investigators wherever they serve. * * *

This week we were walking down the street on our way to an appointment when I saw a man sitting in a chair in his driveway. I felt like I should talk to him, so I did. We introduced ourselves and found out that his name was Eduardo, that he is from Veracruz. We also met his wife, who is in a wheelchair. She told us that she had been baptized in the Church as a young girl, but hadn’t attended the church for more than 20 years, and that she didn’t consider herself a member of any church. We talked to them for about 15 minutes and taught the message of the Restoration. They told us that that wasn’t their normal house, but they gave us their address and the following day we went there to give them a copy of the Book of Mormon and to invite them to church. When we arrived, Eduardo told us that he had read the pamphlet we had given him and that he and his wife wanted to come to church. I was excited.

During sacrament meeting I couldn’t sit with Eduardo and Elisa because I was playing the piano. But I noticed Eduardo and my companion whispering to each other. After the services, my companion explained that Eduardo had read 3 Nephi 11 and had underlined the verses that talk about baptism (I can’t remember the numbers, but they say that we have to be baptized to inherit the kingdom of God.) Eduardo told my companion that he wanted to be baptized. The Book of Mormon is the word of God and has a powerful effect on people who read it seeking to know the truth.

I love reading the testimony of Jesus Christ about his own church in Doctrine and Covenants 1. Like Him, I know that this is the only true and living church on the face of the earth. I know that Jesus Christ loves each one of us more than we can imagine, that he desires to clasp us in his arms if we will but come to Him (Mormon 5:11). Through Him, we will be together forever. Through Him, we will return to live with our Heavenly Father. Through Him, we can change. Through Him, we can find peace, happiness, and purpose in this life.

1 comment:

The Carroll's said...

Way to go Elder! Keep following the Spirit!